Department: Legal General Counsel
FLSA Status: Exempt
Division: Legal General Counsel
Revised Date: January 2016
Provide legal counsel on a variety of matters, including intergovernmental agreements, land use permitting, real property, and general municipal law; prepares and review legal documents; assist outside counsel with litigation; and perform legal research.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following list is a general, representative summary of the primary job duties and is not a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification
1. Provide legal analysis and counsel on a variety of legal matters, including intergovernmental agreements, land use permitting, real property, and general municipal law.
2. Prepare and review complex contracts, agreements and other legal documents for the Agency; assist in the negotiation of contracts and agreements as necessary.
3. Prepare, draft, and/or revise a variety of legal correspondence including letters, memoranda, briefs, opinions and other legal documents.
4. Meet with and/or make presentations to board members, the general public, community leaders and federal, state and local agencies to discuss legal issues, solve problems and negotiate agreements.
5. Perform legal research and provide legal opinions for special projects for the General Counsel as assigned.
6. Assist in legislative development for the Agency including researching, reviewing and preparing resolutions, motions, policies and other legislation; provide recommendations to management staff as necessary.
7. Manage outside legal counsel .
8. Explain legislation and regulations to staff.
9. Become proficient in new legal areas as required. .
10. Perform related duties as required.
Education and Experience
Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school.
At least five years experience practicing law.
License or Certificate:
Member of the Washington State Bar Association by December 1, 2017.
Practical Skills :
• Identify and define legal issues, collect and analyze information, and recommend action.
• Conduct research and prepare reasoned legal opinion letters.
• Promptly provide practical informal legal advice.
• Prepare a variety of clear and concise legal documents including contracts, letters, memoranda and opinions.
• Negotiate agreements with private and public parties.
• Effectively participate on project teams that analyze and synthesize information; develop and recommend strategic action plans to address project-specific legal issues.
• Work on multiple projects, set objectives/goals and re-prioritize as needed.
• Operate office equipment including computers and supporting applications.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with diverse work groups and individuals.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
• Work is performed in a standard office environment.
• Subject to standing, walking, bending, reaching, stooping and lifting of objects up to 10 pounds.
The Agency promotes a safe and healthy work environment and provides appropriate safety and equipment training for all employees.
All employees must follow the Agency safety rules, regulations and procedures.
Sound Transit www.soundtransit.org