PRACTICE OF LAW BOARD
STATE OF WASHINGTON
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 600, Seattle, WA 98101-2539
Opportunity for Service on the Practice of Law Board
The Practice of Law Board has two openings on its Board effective immediately. We’re looking for thoughtful and hard-working people committed to the Board’s mission of serving the public. The Washington Supreme Court established the Board and described its purpose in General Rule 25(a):
- · Promote expanded access to affordable and reliable legal and law-related services;
- · Expand public confidence in the administration of justice;
- · Make recommendations regarding the circumstances under which nonlawyers may be involved in the delivery of certain types of legal and law-related services;
- · Enforce rules prohibiting individuals and organizations from engaging in unauthorized legal and law-related services that pose a threat to the general public; and
- · Ensure that those engaged in the delivery of legal services in the state of Washington have the requisite skills and competencies necessary to serve the public.
The Board has 13 members, at least four of whom must be non-lawyers. The Board represents the public interest in the delivery of legal and law-related services and should reflect the broad range of diversity of individuals who use or are part of the justice system in Washington State.
- · Attend 8-10 Board meetings each year (most in Seattle, half by phone, usually on Fridays)
- · Attend a day-long annual retreat (usually in Seattle)
- · Participate in Board initiatives or committees
The term of service is three years. Board members are eligible for reappointment for a second term.
Board members are not compensated for their service, but are reimbursed for travel and other necessary expenses under the reimbursement policies of the Washington State Bar Association.
How to Apply:
The application deadline is February 28, 2013. Please send us a résumé and letter describing your background, qualifications, commitment, experience, and interest in service to:
Practice of Law Board
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 600
Seattle, WA 98101-2539
Additional information is available at www.WSBA.org/PracticeOfLawBoard. If you have any questions, contact Practice of Law Board Administrator Julie Shankland at JulieS@WSBA.org or at (206) 727-8280.