Description of the position: The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington is seeking qualified candidates from all backgrounds for the positions of Career Law Clerk and Term Law Clerks for incoming United States District Judge Lauren J. King in Seattle, Washington. These positions are open until filled, and interviews will begin immediately.
- A total of three clerks will be hired: either three Term Law Clerks or one Career Law Clerk and two Term Law Clerks. These positions are full-time (80 hours per two-week period).
- The start date for this position is pending Judge King’s appointment and is anticipated to be no sooner than December 15, 2021.
- Law Clerks work closely with the Judge on civil and criminal litigation filed in District Court. Law clerks conduct research and prepare drafts of opinions and orders. Law clerks will also have the opportunity to work on various long-term projects, be involved in courtroom proceedings, and assist in the development of a judicial extern program. The Career Law Clerk will also be responsible for administrative duties in chambers, will assist in running chambers, and will assist in oversight for externs.
- Candidates must be law school graduates from an accredited law school; be organized and work well independently; possess excellent research and writing skills; be experienced with Word, Westlaw, Lexis, and related software; and must have a demonstrated commitment to diversity and an inclusive work environment. Candidates for the Career Law Clerk position must have at least two years prior federal judicial clerkship experience or three years litigation experience. Candidates for the Term Law Clerk positions must have at least one year of federal clerkship experience or two years of litigation experience.
- Link to application: https://www.wawd.uscourts.gov/sites/wawd/files/22-WAW-01_Law_Clerks_LJK.pdf.