Real Estate Attorney
Description of position: Costco Wholesale is seeking an experienced real estate attorney to join the legal team at its corporate headquarters in Issaquah, Washington. Costco is one of the world’s top retailers, with over 106 million members and 847 warehouses in 14 countries/regions, and continues to expand globally. This role will be primarily responsible for supporting Costco’s real estate team to develop new Costco Wholesale warehouse clubs, distribution centers and logistics facilities, primarily in the US but potentially abroad as well. This attorney will supervise outside counsel and other advisors on real estate transactions and related litigation. The candidate must be comfortable operating in a team environment with confidence in his or her judgments and demonstrate an ability to communicate with senior management in a concise and effective way. This position is an “in the office” (not remote work) position.
• Responsible for working with the real estate team on the full real estate development cycle, including negotiating and drafting of all real estate transaction documents. Examples include letters of intent; purchase agreements; ground leases; build-to-suit leases; reciprocal easement and operating agreements; municipal incentive and entitlement agreements; development agreements; utility easements, and construction documents.
• Provide legal advice and business judgement on real estate transaction and development issues.
• Collaborate with Costco’s outside counsel, brokers, development team, architects, engineers, consultants and construction team on real estate transactions and the development of properties.
• Monitor, manage, and review work and expenditures by outside counsel to ensure quality and efficacy of legal services.
• Develop, draft and maintain real estate form agreements.
• Drive compliance efforts on real estate operational issues.
• Support the property management group on real estate matters and disputes.
• Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school.
• Admission in good standing to practice law in at least one U.S. state, and eligible to practice as in-house counsel in the State of Washington.
• At least 10 years or more of relevant legal experience in the area of real estate development acquired in a law firm or an in-house legal department, with some in-house experience preferred.
• Thorough understanding of and experience in commercial real estate law with prior retail development experience preferred. Land use and environmental experience preferred.
• Excellent business judgment and ability to assess legal risk while also thinking strategically and providing practical, business-oriented advice.
• Demonstrated ability to independently manage a diverse and complex workload while maintaining priorities and proactively anticipating issues.
• Exceptional communication, drafting and analytical skills for working with lawyers and non-lawyers.
• Experience overseeing outside counsel.
• Ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively.
• Strong execution and project management skills and ability to develop consensus among stakeholders from across the organization.
Salary and Benefits: The annual base salary range for this position is $135,000 to $185,000 depending upon years of legal experience. In addition to annual base salary, the total compensation package includes an annual grant of restricted stock units ("RSUs") and an annual bonus (based on company and individual performance). The combined value of the bonus and the RSUs would exceed the base salary if the RSUs vest at a share price at or above the grant price. Attorneys are also eligible to participate in the executive deferred compensation plan with a matching contribution from Costco, and receive other executive benefits. We also offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, health benefits - medical/dental/vision/hearing aid/pharmacy/behavioral health/employee assistance, health care reimbursement account, dependent care assistance plan, commuter benefits, short-term and long-term disability insurance, AD&D insurance, life insurance, 401(k).
At Costco, you will build a long-lasting career in a renowned culture where the company is committed to taking care of its employees, members, and suppliers. You will be empowered to independently drive results within your area of responsibility and you will feel good about what you are helping to build. To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Costco Wholesale is an equal-opportunity employer and strives to provide a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are also committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds and making all employment decisions without regard to any protected status.