Benefits & Compensation Senior Attorney / Of Counsel
Dorsey & Whitney LLP is seeking an experienced Benefits & Compensation attorney to join our Minneapolis or Seattle offices as Senior Attorney or Of Counsel. This position can be a full-time position, but also can be a reduced time position. This attorney will work closely with employers on health and welfare plan matters (in particular the Affordable Care Act and HIPAA), executive compensation, 401(k) and retirement plans, and other benefits for executives and employees.
The Benefits & Compensation Group receives a steady stream of work from clients due to statutory and regulatory changes to the laws that govern benefits and compensation. In addition to the department’s clients, the Benefits & Compensation Group works with corporate, labor and employment, ERISA litigation, and other practice areas in the Firm. Our attorneys have frequent contact with our clients’ in-house attorneys and human resource professionals.
The following qualifications are required:
- A JD degree from an ABA-accredited law school or the ability to be admitted to the Minnesota State bar (for candidates interested in working in Minneapolis) or the Washington State bar (for candidates interested in working in Seattle);
- Seven or more years of benefits and compensation experience in a law firm, a consulting firm, or as in-house counsel;
- Excellent analytical, communication and client service skills;
- Experience in communicating benefits and compensation topics and recent developments, for example experience in the preparation and delivery of presentations; and
- Top academic credentials.
Minnesota State bar admission is preferred for Minneapolis candidates. Washington State bar admission is preferred for Seattle candidates.
Dorsey values the strength that comes from a diverse and inclusive work environment. It contributes to the success of our people and our clients and enriches our experience. We believe that everyone should feel at home and part of our community. One of our greatest strengths is a friendly, cooperative culture that values and appreciates each individual. Dorsey has received external recognition for our welcoming workplace, including:
- Mansfield Rule Plus Certification (Diversity Lab)
- Best Law Firms for Women (National Association of Female Executives and Flex-Time Lawyers)
- 100% rating on the Corporate Equality Index (Human Rights Campaign)
- Gold Standard Certification (Women in Law Empowerment Forum)
- Top 100 Adoption-Friendly Workplace (Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption)
Dorsey & Whitney LLP is an EEO/AAP/Disabled Vets Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, affectional preference, disability, age, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, military or veteran status, or any other legally-protected status.
Clients have relied on the international law firm of Dorsey & Whitney LLP since 1912 as a trusted legal advisor and valued business partner. With locations across the United States as well as Canada, Europe and Asia, Dorsey provides an integrated, dedicated approach to its clients' legal and business needs. Dorsey’s diverse client base includes more than one-third of Fortune 100 companies.
Our lawyers apply superb legal knowledge and skills with practical wisdom and a deep understanding of business and industry. We serve clients in nearly all industries, but focus on six key industries in which we have excellent depth and a history of achieving client success: Banking and Financial Institutions; Development and Infrastructure; Energy & Natural Resources; Food, Beverage & Agribusiness; Healthcare; and Technology.
Dorsey’s distinguished alumni include U.S. Supreme Court Justice Harry Blackmun, noted law professor and scholar William Prosser and former U.S. Vice President Walter Mondale. Recognized for our dedication to community, Dorsey has met the ABA Law Firm Pro Bono Challenge every year since the Challenge began in 1993 by devoting more than 3% of billable hours to pro bono work.
How to Apply
Dorsey & Whitney LLP accepts online applications at http://www.dorsey.com/attorneyjobs. We do not accept application materials by mail or email except as a reasonable accommodation for qualified disabled applicants. Individuals who are unable to use our online process due to a disability should call 612-492-5186.