The YWCA is the oldest and largest women’s organization in the world. Our mission at the YWCA: eliminating racism, empowering women and promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all. Since 1913 the YWCA of Spokane has served as a source of strength for women and children in the Spokane community. Supported by an excellent Board, management team and staff, the YWCA is the region’s provider of comprehensive services for victims of domestic violence.
The YWCA Spokane’s Domestic Violence Legal Services team provides free family law advice, representation, and referral to survivors of domestic violence with civil legal issues in Spokane, Ferry, Whitman, Pend Oreille and Stevens Counties. This combination of services increases victims' chances of permanently and safely ending their domestic violence relationship and establishing lives free of violence. YWCA Spokane’s legal program is able to help individuals experiencing domestic violence with a wide variety of related legal issues including; Divorce/Legal Separation, Child Custody/Parenting Plans, Child Support, Spousal Maintenance, Modifications, Contempt, Paternity, Address Confidentiality Program and Protection Orders.
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The YWCA Spokane has an exciting leadership position for an experienced and energetic attorney to serve as its next
Director of Legal Services. This self-directed leader will be responsible for providing both direct client representation and leadership, direction and support to the YWCA’s legal team.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Primary job duties are to provide legal services for domestic violence victims and to provide administration and supervision of YWCA legal program, grants and staff. This position may be assigned to some or all of the following responsibilities:
• Provide brief legal services and direct representation for victims of domestic violence petitioning for civil orders of protection, divorce, child custody, and related family law matters.
• Oversee the delivery of high quality legal services by implementing best practices in service delivery, ensuring legal staff receives training and mentorship and adheres to the highest standards of legal and professional ethics.
• Mentor legal staff in the development of best practices, case strategy, monitoring caseloads, ensuring case coverage and compliance with case management protocols.
• Lead, direct and guide the team by setting clear performance expectations, providing direct performance feedback and creating opportunities for ongoing growth and development
• Monitor and ensure compliance with all funding requirements of department’s federal, state and private grants
• Ensure legal services team and partners meet all contractual deliverables, coordinate grants and contracts reporting requirements, and ensure compliance with programmatic, administrative and budget goals.
• Build and maintain effective relationships with partner service organizations including Inland Northwest Legal Assistance Collaborative partner agencies in Spokane, Pend Oreille, Stevens, Whitman, Ferry and Kootenai counties.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Juris Doctorate required
• Bachelor’s degree in social work or related field preferred
• Admitted to the Washington State Bar
• Minimum of 3 years’ experience working in non-profit program management and/or legal services
• Minimum of 2 years family law experience
• Minimum of 2 years supervisory experience
• Minimum of 2 years working with survivors of domestic violence preferred Understanding of the civil and criminal court systems
Starting Pay: $65,000 to $70,000 Annually, DOE
Full time position: 40 hours per week, full time, Exempt
The YWCA Spokane offers a competitive benefits package including;
• Medical, dental and vision insurance
• Short term and Long Term Disability
• Paid time off
• Paid holidays
• Employee Assistance Program
• Employer funded retirement plan
*Benefit eligibility dependent upon employment status.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply by submitting your RESUME and a COVER LETTER to email@example.com
YWCA of Spokane is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.